GS-2 Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests
Context: Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrived in Russia for a two-day visit, during which he held talks with Russian President Vladimir Putin and attended the Eastern Economic Forum (EEF). The visit by Modi to the Russian Far East region is the first by an Indian prime minister.
About the Eastern Economic Forum:
- The Eastern Economic Forum was established by Decree of the President of the Russian Federation Vladimir Putin in 2015.
- In accordance with the Decree, the Eastern Economic Forum takes place each year in Vladivostok.
- Every year, the Eastern Economic Forum serves as a platform for the discussion of key issues in the world economy, regional integration, and the development of new industrial and technological sectors, as well as of the global challenges facing Russia and other nations.
- Events at the Forum traditionally take place in the form of panel sessions, roundtables, televised debates, business breakfasts, and business dialogues devoted to Russia’s relationships with various countries.
- The Forum business program includes a number of business dialogues with leading partner countries in the Asia-Pacific region, and with ASEAN, a key integration organization of dynamically developing nations in Southeast Asia