Context: Under the aegis of the 'Khelo India' programme, the 1st Khelo India School Games (KISG) 2018 were conducted in 2018 at New Delhi with the participation of 3507 athletes. The 2nd edition of Games, i.e. ‘Khelo India Youth Games, 2019’ were conducted in Pune in 2019 with the participation of 5925 athletes.
Prelims: Current events of national and international importance.
Mains: GS II-
- Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of these schemes; mechanisms, laws, institutions, and Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections.
- Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
Concerned ministry: Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
India's performance in international sports tournament and its issue?
- Resources have never been a problem for India, how it was spent is surely a problem.
- In comparison to other countries, India had a far worse GDP-to-medal ratio (0.03 as compared to UK (2.5) and US (0.67)).
- Britain, a country that lags behind India both in population and GDP, finished second in the commonwealth games with 67 medals. The nation spent ₹2,437 crores over 20 sports disciplines between 2013-17. In the same period of time, the Indian government spent only ₹740 crores over as many as 67 national sports disciplines.
- India needs to not only revamp its spend on sports but also the way in which it was spent.
Khelo India Scheme:
- The Khelo India programme has been introduced to revive the sports culture in India at the grass-root level by building a strong framework for all sports played in our country and establish India as a great sporting nation.
- The revamped Khelo India Scheme was launched during the financial year 2017-18 with a view to achieving the twin objectives of:
- Mass participation
- Promotion of excellence in sports
The Khelo India programme was formed after the merger of following schemes;
- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Abhiyan (RGKA)
- Urban Sports Infrastructure Scheme (USIS)
- National Sports Talent Search Scheme (NSTSS)
Vision: To infuse sports culture and achieve sporting excellence in the country.
Mission: Revamped scheme is to encourage sports for all thus allowing the population across gender and all age groups to harness the power of sports through its cross-cutting influence, namely,
- holistic development of children & youth,
- community development,
- social integration, gender equality,
- healthy lifestyle,
- national pride and economic opportunities related to sports development.
Also, the scheme aims at addressing a bigger problem, that of optimal use of resources.
Khelo India Scheme Eligibility :
- The age limit set for application in this scheme is 10 to 18 years.
- Any child who wants to participate in the India scheme should also be interested in sports.
Khelo India Scheme Benefits:
- The level of the game will be elevated by this plan.
- Talented players identified in priority sports disciplines at various levels by the High-Powered Committee will be provided annual financial assistance of INR 5 lakh per annum for 8 years.
- Under this program, about 20 million children of the age group of 10 to 18 years will be included in the National Physical Fitness Campaign.
- This will only focus on the physical fitness of children, but fitness-related activities will also be supported.
- The government also promised to promote 20 universities across India as hubs for sporting excellence.
- It is based on Gujarat’s model of “Khel Mahakumbh” in which schools and colleges from across the country participate in 27 different disciplines. Khelo India School Games (KISG) has been launched under the program.