GS- 3 Science and Technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life Achievements of Indians in science & technology;
Context: Recently, the first-ever Mobile Science Exhibition (Science Explorer) for the Ladakh region was launched by the Ministry of Culture in Leh.
Apart from this, 25 new Mobile Science Exhibition buses for Aspirational Districts of India were also launched.
Aspirational Districts Programme
- It was launched in January 2018, with an objective to quickly and effectively transform some of the most underdeveloped districts of the country.
- 117 districts have been identified until now, at least one from each state.
- Each district is assigned a Prabhari (in-charge) officer from the Centre (of the additional secretary or joint secretary rank); a Prabhari officer from the State (of the rank of Secretary to State government) who will work in cooperation with the district administration.
- These districts account for more than 20% of the country’s population and cover over 8,600-gram panchayats.
- It aims to improve performance across indicators that improve the quality of life as well as economic productivity.
- The Aspirational Districts Programme, through real-time monitoring and proactive course corrections, reinforces the mechanisms of cooperative & competitive federalism between the Centre and the States, down to the Districts.
- To remove heterogeneity through mass movement (Jan Andolan), to quickly and effectively transform the district.
- Uplifting the districts which have shown relatively lesser progress in achieving key social outcome.
- Focus on the key strengths of each district and identify the low-hanging fruits for immediate improvement.
Mobile Science Exhibitions
- Mobile Science Exhibitions (MSE) are basically science exhibitions on buses based on various themes of science and technology.
- It is an attempt of the National Council of Science Museums (NCSM) to communicate science in rural and remote areas.
- The MSE or Museo-bus travels from school to school in rural areas and organize exhibitions there throughout the year.
- Its mission is ‘If the people cannot visit the museum, let the museum visit the people at their doorsteps’,
- The topics chosen for these exhibitions are:
- Machines in everyday life
- Food & Health
- Chemistry & Life with a focus on Water
- Hygiene & Sanitation
- Space Science for Human Welfare
- MSE is the largest and the longest-running outreach programme of NCSM.
- The First MSE was launched by Birla Industrial and Technological Museum (BITM), Kolkata in the year 1965.
- Birla Industrial and Technological Museum (BITM), Kolkata is the first science museum of India, opened in 1959.
National Council of Science Museums (NCSM)
- In 1978, the National Council of Science Museums (NCSM) was established as a central coordinating agency for national science museums.
- NCSM, an autonomous Science & Technology institution under the Ministry of Culture jointly with the Department of Science & Technology (DST).
- NCSM is the world’s largest network of science centres and museums that functions under a single administrative umbrella.