Context: During the ongoing winter session of the Parliament, Union Minister for Youth Affairs and Sports provided information regarding the beneficiaries under the National Welfare Fund for Sportspersons. Let's learn about the salient features of this scheme.
Prelims: Economic and Social Development Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector initiatives, etc.
Mains: GS II- Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
Concerned ministry: Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay National Welfare Fund For Sportspersons:
- Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay National Welfare Fund For Sportspersons (PDUNWFS) was set up in March 1982 with a view to assisting outstanding Sportspersons of yesteryear, living in indigent circumstances who had brought glory to the country in sports.
- The scheme as revised in September 2017 to provide for lump sum ex-gratia assistance to outstanding Sportspersons of yesteryears.
- The provision of pension has been done away with as there is already a Scheme of Pension for Meritorious Sportspersons. Now, lump-sum ex-gratia assistance is given to the Sportspersons or their families for medical treatment, etc.
The objectives of Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay National Welfare Fund for Sportspersons (PDUNWFS) are as follows :
- To provide suitable assistance to outstanding sportspersons now living in indigent circumstances;
- To provide suitable assistance to outstanding sportspersons injured during the period of their training for competitions and also during the competitions, depending on the nature of the injury;
- To provide suitable assistance to outstanding sportspersons who bring glory to the country in the international sports field and who are disabled as an aftereffect of their strenuous training or otherwise and to provide them assistance for medical treatment;
- To provide suitable assistance to promote the welfare of outstanding sportspersons generally in order to alleviate distress among them and their dependents in indigent circumstances.