The Central Universities Entrance Test (CUET) Challenges and SolutionsWhat is the article about?
- Issues that have riddled The Central Universities Entrance Test (CUET) and ways to correct them.
- GSII: Issues related to education
- The Central Universities Entrance Test (CUET) was envisaged as a corrective to a system based on high marks and cut-offs. It promised to end the anxiety that many students graduating from schools to colleges and universities inevitably suffer.
- However, technical glitches have meant that instead of serving its stated purpose of simplifying the admission process to undergraduate courses, the new examinations have added to the stress of the youngsters.
- Server failures, admission cards being issued at the last minute and lack of clarity over examination centres have thrown unflattering light on the lack of preparedness of the National Testing Agency, the authority that conducts the CUET.
- Cancellations and rescheduling of the tests will stretch the admission procedure to the universities into September. This will, no doubt, have a spiralling effect on undergraduate timetables.
- With an aspirant being allowed to appear in up to nine papers, resulting in more than 50,000 subject combinations, the CUET — conducted in more than 550 cities in the country and 13 foreign centres — is a much bigger exercise than the entry tests to the IITs or medical institutions. A lot of preparation should have gone into conducting an operation of this scale.
- The smooth conduct of the CUET will require an upgrade in the IT systems of at least the network of centres where the examinations are held.
- Several academicians have questioned the MCQ format of these examinations. Instead of this format, the admission tests to masters-level programmes should assess the critical capacities of an aspirant.
- The CUET is a work in progress: The learnings from this year’s experiences must not be lost on the NTA and other educational authorities.
- UPSC CSE 2023 Mains Essay Paper Model Answers
- A Norwegian perspective of India’s digital journey – Leveraging Digital Public Goods to Achieve Sustainable Development Goals: Lessons from India | 15 November 2023 | UPSC Daily Editorial Analysis
- Enhancing representation, for a just electoral system – Strengthening India’s Democracy: A Path to Enhanced Representation and Accountability | 14 November 2023 | UPSC Daily Editorial Analysis
- Revamping the criminal justice system to fit the bill – Analysis of the Government’s Proposed Bills to Replace Core Criminal Laws | 11 November 2023 | UPSC Daily Editorial Analysis
- Chip off the block – PLI Schemes for Semiconductor Manufacturing | 10 November 2023 | UPSC Daily Editorial Analysis
- Taiwan, a Malacca blockade and India’s options – India’s Strategic Dilemma in the Strait of Malacca | 9 November 2023 | UPSC Daily Editorial Analysis
- The problem with the ‘70 hours a week’ line – Counterproductive Push for a 70-Hour Workweek in India | 8 November 2023 | UPSC Daily Editorial Analysis
- More light, less sound – A Festival of Lights Should Not Become a Festival of Noise: A Call for Effective Noise Pollution Control | 7 November 2023 | UPSC Daily Editorial Analysis
- Giving the urban Indian a better life – Urgent Need for Sustainable Urbanization in India | 6 November 2023 | UPSC Daily Editorial Analysis
- The IITs are overcommitted, in crisis – Looming Crisis in India’s IIT System | 4 November 2023 | UPSC Daily Editorial Analysis
- UPSC CSE 2022 Mains GS 1 Paper Model Answers
- Model Answers for UPSC CSE 2021 GS 2 Paper
- SPR 2023 | SPECIES IN NEWS
- UPSC CSE 2023 Mains GS 2 Paper Model Answers
- Model Answers for UPSC CSE 2020 GS 2 Paper
- UPSC CSE 2023 Mains GS 1 Paper Model Answers
- PDS: objectives, functioning, limitations, revamping
- Land Revenue System during British rule in India
- Govt policies & interventions for development in various sectors, and issues arising out of their design and implementation
- UPSC CSE 2022 Mains GS 2 Paper Model Answers
ART & CULTURE CASE STUDIES COMMITTEES & SUMMITS DISASTER MANAGEMENT ECONOMICS ECONOMICS PREMIUM ECONOMICS STATIC ECONOMIC SURVEY EDITORIAL ENVIRONMENT ENVIRONMENT & ECOLOGY ENVIRONMENT PREMIUM ETHICS GEOGRAPHY GEOGRAPHY PREMIUM GEOGRAPHY STATIC HEALTH HISTORY HISTORY PREMIUM HISTORY STATIC INDIAN POLITY INDIAN POLITY PREMIUM INDIAN POLITY STATIC INTEGRITY & APTITUDE INTERNAL SECURITY & DEFENSE INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS LITE SUBSCRIPTION PREMIUM MAINS MAINS CORNER PREMIUM PLUS SUBSCRIPTION PREMIUM POLITY & GOVERNANCE PRELIMS PRELIMS CURRENT AFFAIRS MAGAZINE PRO SUBSCRIPTION PREMIUM REPORTS SAMAJHO'S CORNER PREMIUM SAMAJHO ANALYSIS SAMAJHO CORNER PREMIUM SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY SELF PREPARATION SMAP ANSWER WRITING SOCIETY SPR SYLLABUS TELEGRAM