What's the article about?
- It talks about India's credibility crisis in terms of both covert capacity and public messaging in the international arena.
- GS2: Effect of Policies and Politics of Developed and Developing Countries on India’s interests, Indian Diaspora
- The recent indictment of an Indian national by the United States Department of Justice for targeting wanted Khalistani separatists in North America has cast a dark shadow on India's credibility in terms of both covert capacity and public messaging.
- The allegations, which have yet to be proven in court, have raised concerns about India's willingness to engage in extra-judicial killings and its ability to maintain trust with its allies.
- History of Controversial Operations:
- The indictment comes on the heels of a number of other controversial operations involving Indian intelligence agencies in recent years.
- These operations have included the forcible return of a United Arab Emirates princess from international waters, the attempted kidnap of a businessman from Antigua, and the conviction of eight Indian naval officers in Qatar for espionage.
- While the Indian government has not officially acknowledged or condemned any of these operations, it has not denied that they may have taken place.
- The U.S. Indictment: A Breach of Trust:
- The U.S. indictment against Nikhil Gupta, the Indian national accused of targeting Khalistani separatists, alleges that he was directed by a senior government intelligence official. The indictment also accuses the FBI and DEA of entrapping Gupta by providing him with an undercover officer to act as a hitman.
- The U.S. government's decision to indict Gupta has been seen as a breach of trust between the U.S. and India. The indictment has also raised questions about the extent of U.S.-India intelligence cooperation.
- India's Double Standard:
- India's response to the U.S. indictment has been criticized for its inconsistency. While India has condemned the Canadian government's allegations of Indian involvement in the attempted firebombing of its San Francisco consulate, it has been more muted in its response to the U.S. allegations.
- This double standard has been seen as evidence that India is willing to tolerate covert operations by its intelligence agencies when it suits its interests. However, it has also damaged India's reputation as a responsible and law-abiding country.
- Impact on India's Image:
- The allegations against India have the potential to damage its image on the world stage. India has long projected itself as a responsible and law-abiding country. However, the recent allegations have called this into question.
- The allegations have also strained India's relationships with its allies. The U.S., Canada, and other countries have expressed concerns about India's willingness to engage in extra-judicial killings.
- India needs to take a number of steps to address the concerns raised by the recent allegations. First, it needs to conduct a thorough and transparent investigation into the allegations. Second, it needs to clearly articulate its policy on covert operations. Third, it needs to work to rebuild trust with its allies.
- The allegations against India are a serious matter. However, they also provide an opportunity for India to reflect on its role in the world and to make changes that will enhance its credibility and reputation
- An exchange – Analyzing the Vaibhav Fellowship Program | 26 January 2024 | UPSC Daily Editorial Analysis
- India’s problem — different drugs, identical brand names – Drug Name Confusion Threatens Patient Safety in India | 25 January 2024 | UPSC Daily Editorial Analysis
- The truth about India’s booming toy exports – Protectionism or Productivity? | 24 January 2024 | UPSC Daily Editorial Analysis
- Tax contribution by States needs to be revisited – Time to Recognize State Efficiency through Tax Contribution | 23 January 2024 | UPSC Daily Editorial Analysis
- A revival of the IMEC idea amid choppy geopolitics – Could India-Middle East-Europe Economic Corridor (IMEC) become the New Silk Road? | 22 January 2024 | UPSC Daily Editorial Analysis
- Gearing up for change – Monsoon Trends in India: Analyzing the Impact on Agriculture and Climate Resilience | 20 January 2024 | UPSC Daily Editorial Analysis
- Crafting a new phase in India-U.K. defence ties – Strengthening India-U.K. Defense Cooperation | 19 January 2024 | UPSC Daily Editorial Analysis
- Turning around Indian Ports – Enhancing India’s Global Competitiveness through Port Efficiency | 18 January 2024 | UPSC Daily Editorial Analysis
- A dated urban vision – Mumbai Trans Harbour Link: A Dated Mode of City-Making from Times Past | 17 January 2024 | UPSC Daily Editorial Analysis
- Tensions in Red Sea – Red Sea Threats Disrupt India’s Trade Flows | 16 January 2024 | UPSC Daily Editorial Analysis
- UPSC CSE 2022 Mains GS 1 Paper Model Answers
- Model Answers for UPSC CSE 2021 GS 2 Paper
- SPR 2023 | SPECIES IN NEWS
- UPSC CSE 2023 Mains GS 2 Paper Model Answers
- Model Answers for UPSC CSE 2020 GS 2 Paper
- UPSC CSE 2023 Mains GS 1 Paper Model Answers
- PDS: objectives, functioning, limitations, revamping
- Land Revenue System during British rule in India
- Govt policies & interventions for development in various sectors, and issues arising out of their design and implementation
- UPSC CSE 2022 Mains GS 2 Paper Model Answers
ART & CULTURE CASE STUDIES COMMITTEES & SUMMITS DISASTER MANAGEMENT ECONOMICS ECONOMICS PREMIUM ECONOMICS STATIC ECONOMIC SURVEY EDITORIAL ENVIRONMENT & ECOLOGY ENVIRONMENT PREMIUM ETHICS GEOGRAPHY GEOGRAPHY PREMIUM GEOGRAPHY STATIC HEALTH HISTORY HISTORY PREMIUM HISTORY STATIC INDIAN POLITY INDIAN POLITY PREMIUM INDIAN POLITY STATIC INTEGRITY & APTITUDE INTERNAL SECURITY & DEFENSE INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS LITE SUBSCRIPTION PREMIUM MAINS MAINS CORNER PREMIUM PLUS SUBSCRIPTION PREMIUM POLITY & GOVERNANCE PRELIMS PRELIMS CURRENT AFFAIRS MAGAZINE PRO SUBSCRIPTION PREMIUM REPORTS SAMAJHO'S CORNER PREMIUM SAMAJHO ANALYSIS SAMAJHO CORNER PREMIUM SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY SELF PREPARATION SMAP ANSWER WRITING SOCIETY SPR SYLLABUS TELEGRAM YOJANA GIST