What's the article about?
- It talks about the ongoing Generative AI Revolution, its future potential, and related concerns.
- GS3: Science and Technology- Developments and their Applications and Effects in Everyday Life;
- Generative AI is predicted to add trillions of dollars to the global economy annually.
- However, this revolution also brings risks, particularly the ability for bad actors to create artificial entities that are indistinguishable from humans online.
- This article proposes an identity assurance framework to ensure trust between interacting parties and improve internet safety and integrity.
What is Generative AI?
- Potential of Generative AI:
- Generative AI has the potential to automate tasks previously thought to be solely in the realm of human creativity and reasoning, from writing to creating graphics to summarizing and analyzing data.
- As one example of their potential impact, consider the ongoing pilot of Jugalbandi Chatbot in rural India (powered by ChatGPT). Jugalbandi promises to serve as a universal translator, accepting queries in local languages, retrieving answers from English-language sources, and presenting them back to users in their native language. This service alone can democratise access to information and improve the economic well-being of millions of people.
- McKinsey Global Institute predicts that generative AI could save 60 to 70 percent of workers' time through automation of their work, potentially boosting productivity and adding trillions of dollars in value to the global economy annually.
- Concerns of Generative AI:
- Generative AI also brings risks, particularly the ability for bad actors to create artificial entities that are indistinguishable from humans online.
- This can lead to misinformation and disinformation, security hacks, fraud, hate speech, shaming, and other harms. For example, AI-generated deepfakes were used to mar recent elections in Turkey.
- Identity Assurance Framework:
- The article proposes an identity assurance framework to ensure trust between interacting parties and improve internet safety and integrity.
- The framework would be open to numerous credential types emerging around the world, not specific to any single technology or standard, and yet provide privacy protections.
- Digital wallets are particularly important as they enable selective disclosure and protect users against government or corporate surveillance. This identity assurance framework would be extended to humans, bots, and businesses.
- Information Integrity:
- Information integrity ensures that the content being accessed is authentic and was published by the person it claims to be published by.
- The article proposes three pillars for information integrity: source validation, content integrity, and information validity.
- Source validation enables verifiability that information comes from a known source/publisher/individual.
- Content integrity enables verifiability that the information has not been tampered with.
- Information validity can be realized with automated fact-checking and crowdsourced reviews.
- Generative AI has the potential to revolutionize the economy and society, but it also brings risks.
- An identity assurance framework can ensure trust between interacting parties and improve internet safety and integrity. Information integrity is also important to ensure that the content being accessed is authentic.
- While much is unknown about how generative AI will influence the world economy and society, and it will take time to play out, there are clear signs that the potential is significant.
- Delhi Services Bill Explained
- How Manipur Violence hinder North East stability?
- Communalism – Haryana Violence Analysis
- Onward, sunward – Aditya-L1, India’s First Space Mission Dedicated to Studying the Sun | 4 September 2023 | UPSC Daily Editorial Analysis
- Most Important Topics for UPSC Mains 2023
- Compelling idea – The Feasibility of ‘One Nation, One Election’ in India | 2 September 2023 | UPSC Daily Editorial Analysis
- A reasonable legislation – Digital Personal Data Protection Act 2023 | 1 September 2023 | UPSC Daily Editorial Analysis
- Cross the boulders in the Indus Waters Treaty – The Indus Waters Treaty and the India-Pakistan Water Dispute | 31 August 2023 | UPSC Daily Editorial Analysis
- Gig Workers Bill: reading between the lines – Analysis of the Rajasthan Platform-Based Gig Workers (Registration and Welfare) Bill, 2023 | 30 August 2023 | UPSC Daily Editorial Analysis
- Mains Monthly Magazine: July 2023
ART & CULTURE CASE STUDIES COMMITTEES & SUMMITS DISASTER MANAGEMENT ECONOMICS ECONOMICS PREMIUM ECONOMICS STATIC ECONOMIC SURVEY EDITORIAL ENVIRONMENT ENVIRONMENT & ECOLOGY ENVIRONMENT PREMIUM ENVIRONMENT STATIC ETHICS GEOGRAPHY GEOGRAPHY PREMIUM GEOGRAPHY STATIC HISTORY HISTORY PREMIUM HISTORY STATIC INDIAN POLITY INDIAN POLITY PREMIUM INDIAN POLITY STATIC INTEGRITY & APTITUDE INTERNAL SECURITY & DEFENSE INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS LITE SUBSCRIPTION PREMIUM MAINS MAINS CORNER PREMIUM PLUS SUBSCRIPTION PREMIUM POLITY & GOVERNANCE PRELIMS PRELIMS CURRENT AFFAIRS MAGAZINE PRO SUBSCRIPTION PREMIUM REPORTS SAMAJHO'S CORNER PREMIUM SAMAJHO ANALYSIS SAMAJHO CORNER PREMIUM SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY SELF PREPARATION SMAP ANSWER WRITING SOCIETY SPR SYLLABUS TELEGRAM