|UPSC Oriya Literature Optional|
UPSC offers Odia as an optional subject in the UPSC Civil Services Mains Exam. Odia is a language of the Indo-Aryan family used in the state of Odisha, parts of West Bengal, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, and Andhra Pradesh. Formerly known as Oriya, it is considered one of the 6 classical languages of India. The syllabus for this subject consists of the grammar of the Odia language, its history and development, influences from other language systems, and regional variations in the language. It also includes phonetics and important literary compositions in the language.
|Syllabus for Oriya Literature Optional Paper-I|
Section A: History of Odia Language
- Origin and development of Odia Language-Influence of Austric, Dravidian, Perso-Arabic and English on Odia Language.
- Phonetics and Phonemics: Vowels, Consonants Principles of changes in Odia sounds.
- Morphology: Morphemes (free, bound compound and complex), derivational and inflectional affixes, case inflection, conjugation of verbs.
- Syntax: Kinds of sentences and their transformation, structure of sentences.
- Semantics-Different types of change in meaning Euphemism.
- Common errors in spellings, grammatical uses and construction of sentences.
- Regional variations in Odia Language (Western, Southern and Northern Odia) and Dialects (Bhatri and Desia)
Section B: History of Odia Literature
- Historical backgrounds (social, cultural and political) of Odia Literature of different periods.
- Ancient epics, ornate kavyas and padavalis.
- Typical structural forms of Odia Literature (Koili, Chautisa, Poi, Chaupadi, Champu).
- Modern trends in poetry, drama short story, novel, essay and literary criticism.
|Syllabus for Oriya Literature Optional Paper-II|
Section A: Poetry
- Sãralã Das-Shanti Parva from Mãhãbharãta.
- Jaganãth Das-Bhãgãbate, XI Skandha-Jadu Avadhuta Sambãda.
- Dinãkrushna Dãs-Rasakallola- (Chhãndas-16 & 34)
- Upendra Bhanja-Lãvanyabati (Chhãndas-1 & 2)
- Rãdhãnãth Rãy-Chandrabhãgã
- Mãyãdhãr Mãnasinha-Jeevan Chitã
- Satchidãnanda Routray-Kabitã-1962
- Ramãkãnta Ratha-Saptama Ritu.
- Manoranjan Dãs-Kãtha-Ghodã
- Bijay Mishra-Tata Niranjanã
- Fakir Mohan Senãpati-Chhamãna Ãthaguntha
- Gopinãth Mohanty-Dãnãpãni
- Surendra Mohãnty-Marãlãra Mrityu
- Manoj Dãs-Laxmira Abhisara
- Chittaranjan Dãs-Taranga O Tadit (First five essays).
- Chandra Sekhar Rath-Mun Satya-dhãrma Kahuchhi (First five essays)