What's the article about?
- It talks about the importance of the LiFE, or Lifestyle for Environment Mission in tackling the issues of the triple planetary crisis of climate change, pollution and biodiversity loss.
- GS3: Conservation, Environmental Pollution and Degradation; Prelims
What's the crux of the article?
- This decade is experiencing the visible manifestations of human-induced climate change.
- These are:
- Nine of the warmest years
- record-breaking heat waves, floods, droughts, and other extreme forms of weather
- Climate change is a disruption multiplier in a disrupted world, rolling back progress across the global Sustainable Development Goals.
Importance of LiFE movement for India:
- LiFE recognizes the importance of individual’s actions in dealing with climate change.
- Like the Swachh Bharat Mission, India can start jan andolan & lead the world.
- The LiFE mission also recognises that accountability is relative to contribution. (poor vs rich)
- LiFE resonates with the global climate justice
- needs guiding frameworks, information sharing and the scale of a global movement
- Many of the goals of LIFE can be achieved by deploying ‘nudges’, gentle persuasion techniques to encourage positive behaviour
India’s efforts wrt Climate Change:
- Panchamrit targets announced by Mr. Modi at COP26
- International Solar Alliance,
- Coalition for Disaster Resilient Infrastructure
- South-South cooperation platforms
- While governments and industry carry the lion’s share of responsibility for responding to the crisis, consumers play a large role in driving unsustainable production methods which is highlighted by the LiFE Mission.