What's the article about?
- It analyses the Rajasthan Platform-Based Gig Workers (Registration and Welfare) Bill, 2023.
- GS2: Government Policies and Interventions for Development in various sectors and Issues arising out of their Design and Implementation;
- GS3: Indian Economy;
- The Rajasthan government has introduced the Rajasthan Platform-Based Gig Workers (Registration and Welfare) Bill, 2023, which aims to ensure social security for gig workers.
- However, the Bill appears to have some major issues that could limit its effectiveness.
What is Gig Economy:
Gig Economy in India:
Challenges faced by gig workers in India:
What is the Government doing to regulate the gig economy in India?
Analysis: Issues with the Bill:
- The definitions of a gig worker and aggregator in the Bill are unclear and do not treat the aggregator as an employer.
- This could result in gig workers being seen as contractors or self-employed and not as employees by the aggregator.
- By not defining gig workers as employees, the Bill is limited in its ability to integrate existing labour laws into its ambit.
- This means that aggregators will continue to be insulated from complying with the mandates of labour laws and remain evasive from the responsibility of providing gig workers with workplace entitlements.
- The Bill aims to create a database of gig workers, but the registration is valid for perpetuity, which might become an unintended impediment.
- A worker often works for two or more aggregators on a given day.
- A mandatory system of registration could enable the aggregators to get to know about the worker’s details of employment with multiple aggregators and come out with mechanisms that impair the opportunity choices before the gig worker.
- Social Security:
- The Bill aims to guarantee social security to platform-based gig workers by constituting a representative welfare board and creating a welfare fund.
- However, it neither defines categorically what constitutes social security nor specifies welfare measures that can broadly be construed as social security.
- Instead, it leaves this crucial aspect to the discretion of the welfare board, which might limit the effectiveness of the Bill.
- This bill acknowledges the significant contributions of gig workers to the economy and aims to provide them with essential protection and support.
- However, due to the issues mentioned above, whether the Bill can deliver what it promises appears doubtful.
- The Bill needs to be revised to ensure that gig workers receive the social security and workplace entitlements they deserve.
- Delhi Services Bill Explained
- How Manipur Violence hinder North East stability?
- Communalism – Haryana Violence Analysis
- Onward, sunward – Aditya-L1, India’s First Space Mission Dedicated to Studying the Sun | 4 September 2023 | UPSC Daily Editorial Analysis
- Most Important Topics for UPSC Mains 2023
- Compelling idea – The Feasibility of ‘One Nation, One Election’ in India | 2 September 2023 | UPSC Daily Editorial Analysis
- A reasonable legislation – Digital Personal Data Protection Act 2023 | 1 September 2023 | UPSC Daily Editorial Analysis
- Cross the boulders in the Indus Waters Treaty – The Indus Waters Treaty and the India-Pakistan Water Dispute | 31 August 2023 | UPSC Daily Editorial Analysis
- Gig Workers Bill: reading between the lines – Analysis of the Rajasthan Platform-Based Gig Workers (Registration and Welfare) Bill, 2023 | 30 August 2023 | UPSC Daily Editorial Analysis
- Mains Monthly Magazine: July 2023
ART & CULTURE CASE STUDIES COMMITTEES & SUMMITS DISASTER MANAGEMENT ECONOMICS ECONOMICS PREMIUM ECONOMICS STATIC ECONOMIC SURVEY EDITORIAL ENVIRONMENT ENVIRONMENT & ECOLOGY ENVIRONMENT PREMIUM ENVIRONMENT STATIC ETHICS GEOGRAPHY GEOGRAPHY PREMIUM GEOGRAPHY STATIC HISTORY HISTORY PREMIUM HISTORY STATIC INDIAN POLITY INDIAN POLITY PREMIUM INDIAN POLITY STATIC INTEGRITY & APTITUDE INTERNAL SECURITY & DEFENSE INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS LITE SUBSCRIPTION PREMIUM MAINS MAINS CORNER PREMIUM PLUS SUBSCRIPTION PREMIUM POLITY & GOVERNANCE PRELIMS PRELIMS CURRENT AFFAIRS MAGAZINE PRO SUBSCRIPTION PREMIUM REPORTS SAMAJHO'S CORNER PREMIUM SAMAJHO ANALYSIS SAMAJHO CORNER PREMIUM SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY SELF PREPARATION SMAP ANSWER WRITING SOCIETY SPR SYLLABUS TELEGRAM