A NATURAL PARTNERSHIP
What the article is about?
- In the eve 70th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Japan and India, the article talks about the prospects of the relationship.
Syllabus: GS-Il India and its International Relations
- Political: Main component of India's Act East policy; Special Strategic and Global Partnership,2014
- Security and Defence: Malabar ExerciselJoint Naval); Quadrilateral Grouping; Sahyog-Kaijin (Joint Coast Guard exercise); JIMEX (Joint Naval exercise)
- Economic: Asia-Africa Growth Corridor; CEDA,2011; Japan is the largest bilateral donor.
- Technology: Civilian Nuclear deal; Japan India Institute for Manufacturing; Cooperation in smart cities; Cyber security cooperations.
- Cultural: 2017 observed as Year of Japan-India Friendly Exchanges; SAKURA annual student exchange programme; Buddhist ties, Restructuring Nalanda University
- Areas of Concerns :
- Disappointing trade numbers
- Pending defence deals
- Significance of relations:
- Free and Open Indo-Pacific (FOIP)
- Global Peace and Prosperity- Rule-based free and open international Order
- Japanese pivot would boost India's Act East Policy
- Japan- Largest DA(Official Development Assistance) donor to India
- Mumbai-Ahmedabad High-Speed Rail Project
- Balance of power in Asia by countering the emergence of China
- Peaceful and Open Indian Ocean enhance maritime security
- Energy security through nuclear energy