What the article is about:
- The article talks about about announcement made by Urban development minister Hardeep puri, to house 11,00 Rohingya migrants now living in makeshift slums.
- GS2: Government policies and intervention, India and its neighbourhood
- GS3: Challenges to internal security through communication networks.
Who are Rohingyas:
- Rohingya Muslims are described by the United Nations as the most persecuted minority in the world.
- They fled their homes in 2017 to escape an alleged crackdown by the Myanmarese military.
- To escape discrimination and violence in Myanmar, minority Rohingya Muslims have for decades fled from the Buddhist-majority country to neighbouring Bangladesh and other countries, including India.
UN convention of refugees 1951:
- It is a United Nations multilateral treaty that defines who is a refugee, and sets out the rights of individuals who are granted asylum and the responsibilities of nations that grant asylum.
- The Convention builds on Article 14 of the Universal declaration of Human rights, 1948 which recognizes the right of persons to seek asylum from persecution in other countries.
- India is not signatory to this convention.
- Mr. Puri suggested, in the Absence of long term measures to resolve the issue, the government could at least, provide the hapless community better living conditions, until their future is secured.